Mold and fungus-free prefab steel buildings
Traditional wooden buildings suffer from several potential downfalls. From unforeseen tragedies such as fire to the tremendous damage caused by pests over time, there are many factors to consider that constantly attempt to combat.
One such issue is the growth and presence of mold and fungus. Not only can these natural invaders be harmful to your building, but they can also cause significant health problems. Worst still, they often exist and spread without anyone noticing.
Thankfully, steel buildings are resistant to both mold and fungus, providing an easy solution to this very real problem. It’s just one more reason to invest in a high-quality, versatile steel structure from Union Steel Structures.
Read on to learn more about mold and fungus, the problems they can cause, and how metal buildings are a part of the solution!
What Causes Mold and Fungus Growth?
The number one cause of mold and fungus growth is relatively well-known, and that is the presence of moisture. Every single species of mold requires water to grow and thrive. Without moisture, the possibility of mold and fungus is eliminated.
It’s exceptionally difficult to entirely eliminate the presence of moisture, though, especially in some areas of the United States. As such, it’s important to understand the other factors that contribute to the growth of these pesky invaders.
While they can grow in a variety of climates, temperatures of 40 to 100 degrees are preferable. Environments that have stagnant air, lack light, and feature organic material for the mold and fungus to feed on are also conducive to their presence and spread.
What are the Health Risks?
While mold and fungus can harm your building by slowly causing the build materials to decay, they are a more immediate risk to your personal health and wellbeing. These adverse health effects can include everything from allergic reactions to fungal infections.
Some people are more sensitive to mold-related health problems than others, especially those with allergies, asthma, or a weakened immune system. Respiratory issues are not uncommon. Certain molds, often referred to as “toxic molds,” can cause much more severe health risks due to their production of mycotoxins. Neurological issues and even death can result.
In other words, there are a wide variety of health problems linked to mold exposure, some mild and some severe or even lethal. As such, it’s important to take the presence of mold seriously!
Can the Right Framing Material Prevent Mold and Fungus Growth?
The short answer is “yes,” but we’re here to give you the whole picture! When choosing a framing material for a building, you want to consider future outcomes. Is it strong enough to endure what the weather might throw at it? Does it exceed local codes and regulations? Is it susceptible to mold and fungus growth?
Wooden buildings actually encourage the growth of mold by giving it bountiful organic material to consume, eventually leading to compromised structural integrity. Steel buildings, on the other hand, do not support fungus, mold, mildew, or any other micro-organisms. Read on for more information!
- Steel Framing is Inorganic – Mold and fungus need to consume organic material to grow and thrive. By nature, steel buildings are inorganic, meaning that these destructive natural forces have nothing on which to feed!
- Steel Doesn’t Hold Moisture – Unlike wood, steel sheds water and does not hold moisture. As such, the number one necessity for mold and fungus to grow is removed. If the moisture mold and fungus needs is going to be present in your metal building, it will not be the fault of the framing!
- Metal Buildings are Built Straight and Tight – Keeping the elements out is key to maintaining a mold and fungus-free building interior. The way in which prefab steel buildings are built straight and tight facilitates just that—a sealed environment that keeps the elements where they belong, outside!
- Steel Framing Doesn’t Change, Creep, Warp, or Sag – Any building can be nearly perfect upon completion, but most will change with time as they settle, age, and otherwise lose their flawless original shape. Steel buildings do not suffer from any of these issues, meaning that their original straight and tight construction will endure through the years.
- Steel Buildings Provide Proper Ventilation – Stagnant air is one of the contributing factors in the growth of mold and fungus. By providing proper ventilation, steel buildings avoid this pitfall and stay mold and fungus-free. It’s just one more way that metal buildings are the superior choice!
Buying from Union Steel Structures
With the highest-quality metal buildings and best customer service in the industry, it’s no wonder that Union Steel Structures has established itself as the best dealer of steel structures in the United States. If you have questions about metal buildings, want to receive a customized quote, or are ready to purchase your dream steel building, call our experts today on (888) 384-3936.